Step 7 - Preparing for Moving Day
It is unusual to hear from someone who didn't have a stressful time moving but being organised is the trick to minimise your stress levels during this time.
Here are some tips to make moving day as smooth as possible:
- Use a good removal firm - seek recommendations from friends or get removal quotes from Rightmove. Look for members of the British Association of Removers who operate a strict code of conduct.
- If possible, try to stagger moving days so you don't have to do everything all in one day.
- This can also give you time to do any essential work to the new property such as carpet cleaning or any decorating that needs to be done before all your belongings arrive.
- Try to avoid Mondays and Fridays which are the busiest days on the roads.
- Save time and cost by doing some of the packing yourself.
- Check out the best value utility contracts for your new property well in advance and read the meters in both properties on moving day.
- Redirect post well beforehand - this is especially essential to protect yourself from identity theft
- If your new place has any appliances left behind, download the instruction manuals from the manufacturer's website.
You work through our Key Contacts checklist to ensure you notify everyone of your move.
And most importantly, enjoy your new home from all at Rightmove!