At HMT, we specialise in finding quality houses and flats for our tenants to rent in Cheltenham and the surrounding areas.
The below information should help answer any questions you may have with regards to our service;
Moving in Before taking possession of the property the following must be satisfied for all tenants (and guarantors where necessary):
- Collection and verification of references
- Credit checks
- All monies due to us are paid (arrangement fees, deposit, rent in advance)
- Tenancy agreement has been signed by all tenants.
Once this is satisfied we are able to release the keys and welcome you to your new home.
Finance Rent is collected every calendar month and must be paid in advance. Ordinarily this is paid via a standing order mandate; alternative arrangements can be agreed upon if preferred. Costs involved in moving in are as follows:
- Administration charge - (variable dependant on number of tenants) to be paid at the stage of expressing interest in a property.
- Security Bond (Deposit) - Equivalent to six Weeks rent, paid in cleared funds on day of occupancy or in advance allowing time to have cleared by occupation date.
- Rent - The first months rent or pro-rata portion of the rent, paid in cleared funds on day of occupancy or in advance allowing time to have cleared by occupation date.
Lease We use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, which secures the tenancy for a minimum fixed period - usually of either 6 or 12 months. After 6 months you may give one months notice if you would like to leave. We are obliged to give you two months notice to quit, should the landlord require vacant possession (unless the tenancy has been breeched). We are on occasion able to offer shorter or longer term contracts. This is not a preferred option by most landlords but can be discussed on an ad-hoc basis.
Services Unless otherwise stated in the lease, Tenants are responsible for all bills relating to a property, including gas, electricity, water/sewage, council tax and transfer/installation of the telephone, TV Licence. It is the tenant's responsibility to arrange the setting up and closing down of all accounts using meter readings on the day of moving in, and upon vacating the property.
Maintenance If you have any problems with the property, or with any appliance owned by the landlord, during your tenancy, we can arrange to have our experienced maintenance team deal with it. Larger maintenance jobs have to be cleared with the landlord and therefore delays can occur - please be patient. Light bulbs, fuses, etc., are the tenant's responsibility.
Notices You must give one months written notice to terminate your contract. However, you may not leave within the period of the tenancy agreement (usually six or twelve months). Once notice has been served we will begin marketing your property and viewings will take place within the last 28 days of your tenancy. Should your Landlord have reason to require possession of their property, then 2 months written notice will be served on you.
Deposit Your deposit will be returned after the following have been carried out:
- all outstanding debts/bills have been paid, the inventory has been reconciled, and the property has been thoroughly cleaned (the cost of damage will be deducted - reasonable wear will be taken into consideration)
- Provided there are no outstanding issues, your deposit will be returned within 14 days from the time the property is vacated.
From April 6th all deposits taken from tenants will be secured by law under the tenant deposit scheme. For further information on how this will affect your deposit, please go here :- TENANCY DEPOSIT SCHEME
- Tenants must give one months written notice.
- The deposit cannot be used as the last months rent.
- The property must be cleaned and any damage either reported or repaired prior to returning keys.
- Meter readings must be taken and utility accounts closed.
- Mail must be redirected.
- All tenant's possessions must be removed from the property unless otherwise agreed.