We use cookies to optimise your experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to receive our cookies. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.



Its all about the postcodes.
  • paragraph

    We are Sheffield's longest established estate agency, dating back to 1840. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service, along with sound advice from experienced property professionals.
  • paragraph

    image cannot be displayed

    ** LET BY **

    Below are just some of the properties we have successfully let recently in Sheffield and the Peak District.

    We urgently require more rental properties! For further information on what services we offer or to arrange a free market appraisal please call our lettings office on 0114 2689900 or email lettings@elr.co.uk

Contact us


Preparing the property for letting
  • paragraph


    In this last COUPLE OF YEARS there have been several measures introduced again regarding new regulations. Such as, the energy efficiency rules, and legionella checks along with smoke and CO alarms, will all mean extra work for landlords.

    One option to consider for those self-managing landlords is to use a good professional letting agent. It will cost you in terms of fees but the freedom may be worth it, and fees are a tax deductible expense.

    Although some Lettings Agencies have bad reputations for exploiting landlords who take this hands-off approach, by overcharging for basic services. Look for long established managing agents (ELR) with good local reputations, and crucially, members of one of the main professional associations such as ARLA or RICS.

    Offering our Full Managed Service too of which is second to none.

    • Lettings appraisal

    • Marketing on the internet: www.elr.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk and www.onthemarket.com

    • Database of "waiting" qualified tenants

    • Accompanied viewings

    • Tenant referencing - clear, concise and quick - including Credit Checks

    • Optional Rent Guarantee Scheme - through our referencing company

    • The preparation of the Tenancy Agreement and all the required Notices

    • Deposit collection and registration

    • Notifying utility companies of tenant details

    • Ongoing collection of rent and payment into your bank account

    • Monthly statements of income and expenditure - via post or email

    • Arranging routine repairs and maintenance (subject to float account)

    • Regular property visits

    • Tenant check out

    • Deposit negotiations (if any) at the termination of the tenancy

    Another safeguard that ELR will give our landlords and their properties is the right attention with us being a smaller agency. A smaller agency allows landlords to truly build relationships with the company as ELR personally manage and take care of their investments from the outset.

    Even before a tenant is found, the landlord's duties are lessened as ELR are in charge of and fully responsible for all legal precautions. The relevant safety checks are taken care of such as

    If you have any queries or questions please do not hesitate to call one of the lettings team on 0114 268 9900

    We will be happy to help!

  • paragraph

    Who will let my property?
    Finding the right tenant for you is absolutely crucial! This is where our own high standards and tenant vetting experience comes to the fore! We ask for a lot of information before the tenant even gets to see the property. Below is a sample list of questions we will be asking before a viewing is made: • Are you in full time employment? • Do you have any pets? • Do you smoke? (all our tenancies have no smoking clauses!) • In which area do you want to live? • How many bedrooms do you want? • What's the maximum rent your looking to spend? • How quickly are you looking to move?
  • paragraph

    Preparing the property for letting

    Most people when viewing properties to let will be viewing

    others, so the condition and appearance will affect not

    only the rental value but the speed in which it is let.

    Never underestimate the value of first impressions!!

    In general:

    • Decorations should be light, modern and preferably

    neutral - your prospective tenants want to feel they can

    move their furniture and belongings into a property and

    feel comfortable and at home. Be prepared to redecorate

    as necessary.

    • Carpets and floor coverings need to clean and neutral.

    • Kitchens and bathrooms should be clean, well presented

    and preferably modern. White bathroom suites are always

    a winner! / Preferred choice.

    • If you are furnishing the property, make sure it is simple

    and neat.

    • Gardens should be seasonally neat and tidy and

    easily maintained.


  • paragraph


    Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

    An EPC must be made available whilst your property is

    being advertised for let. This certificate shows the current

    and potential energy rating. An EPC is valid for 10 years for

    a rental property.

    Gas Safety Certificates

    The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

    It is a legal requirement that every gas appliance and gas

    central heating system has to be inspected on an annual

    basis and a landlord safety certificate issued by a GAS

    SAFE (formerly CORGI) engineer. ELR can arrange for

    this inspection to be carried out. We must hold a valid

    certificate on file for every property.

    Electrical Safety Checks

    The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994,

    and the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994

    It is important to ensure that all electrical appliances and

    fittings within the property are safe and in good working

    order. Unlike gas regulations, there is no law that says

    you must have a landlord electrical safety certificate.

    But, should any electrical fittings or appliances within

    your rental property cause harm to a tenant you could

    be held liable.

    Smoke Detectors

    Properties built after June 1992 must have mains operated

    smoke detectors fitted on each floor.

    Although there is no legislation requiring smoke detectors

    to be fitted in ordinary tenanted properties, it is generally

    considered the common law "duty of care" meaning that

    the landlord could be held liable should a fire cause injury

    where no smoke detectors are fitted. We therefore strongly

    recommend that landlords fit one smoke alarm on

    each floor.

    The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety)

    Regulations 1988

    All furniture or furnishings that you supply with a furnished

    house when you let it out have to be clearly marked

    with a label showing that they meet all of the necessary

    standards. All new furniture that is subject to the law

    should come with a label already attached, but over time,

    safety labels can be lost, removed or damaged. It doesn't

    matter if they originally complied or not, you must be able

    to demonstrate this with the safety label. If you rent out the

    property after the labels have been lost, you should either

    have the furniture re-tested or replace it.


    You are responsible for insuring the buildings and contents

    YOU leave in the property - the tenant will insure their own

    contents. We can prepare you a quotation for buildings

    and contents insurance, please ask a member

    of staff for details and further information.


    income received from renting any property is subject to

    tax (we strongly recommend that you take advice from

    An independent tax accountant). You are responsible for

    paying your own income tax and declaring rental income

    to the tax office.

  • paragraph

    Overseas Landlords

    Where a landlord resides overseas for more than 6

    months of the year a landlord must apply for an exemption

    certificate from the Inland Revenue (NRL1 form), a copy

    of the exemption certificate must be held by ourselves.

    If we do not hold an exemption certificate we are required

    to pay the inland revenue the relevant rate of tax applied

    without a deduction (currently at 20%). You may still be

    held liable for taxation. ELR HMRC number is NA010420

    you will need this for the NRL1 form.

    Empty Property

Contact us


Before Looking for a rental property.
  • paragraph

    Before looking for a rental property.

    How long do you want the tenancy for? You can ask for a tenancy to be any time between six months and seven years long.

    What can you afford? Think about how much rent you can afford to pay: 35% of your take-home pay is the most that many people can afford, but this depends on what your other outgoings are (for example, whether you have children).

    If you are on housing benefit, there is no reason that it should affect your ability to pay rent. But check with this online calculator to see if you can afford to live in the area you want.

    Decide which area you would like to live in and how you are going to look for a rented home. The larger the area where you are prepared to look, the better the chance of finding the right home for you.

    Have your documents ready. Reputable landlords and agents will want to confirm your identity, credit history and possibly your employment or immigration status.

    Will you need a rent guarantee? Some landlords might ask someone to guarantee your rent. If you don't have a guarantor, ask Shelter for help.

  • paragraph

    Questions to ask.

    Deposit protection. If the landlord asks for a deposit, check that it will be protected in a government approved scheme. Some schemes hold the money, and some insure it.

    You may be able to access a bond or guarantee scheme that will help you put the deposit together.

    How long is the tenancy for? There is usually a fixed period of 6 or 12 months. If you want more security, you can ask for a longer fixed period of up to seven years. Many landlords are happy to offer longer tenancies.

    Children, smoking and pets. Check if there any rules about them, as well as for other things such as keeping a bike, dealing with refuse and recycling.

    Check who is responsible for bills such as electricity, gas, water and council tax. You or the landlord? Usually the tenant pays for these.

    Fixtures and fittings. Check you are happy with them, as it is unlikely that you will be able to get them changed once you have moved in.

    Smoke alarms - and carbon monoxide detectors if you have solid fuel appliances. Check these are provided. If not, your landlord must install them. They could save your life.

    If the building becomes unfit to live in. Check that the tenancy agreement excuses you from paying rent should the building become unfit to live in because of a fire or flood.

    Check who your landlord is.

    They could be subletting - renting you a property that they are renting from someone else. If they are subletting, check that the property owner has consented.

    Find out who you should speak to if any repairs need doing.

    Ask whether the property is mortgaged.

    Landlords should let you know about this upfront, because you may be asked to leave the property if the landlord does not pay their mortgage payments.

    Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

    HMOs are usually properties in which unrelated people share facilities such as the kitchen or bathroom.

    Large HMOs (more than 2 floors, and more than 4 people) need to be licensed. Check your landlord has done that. In large HMOs, landlords must by law provide working smoke alarms, and give tenants a statement of the terms on which they live in the property.

Contact us


  • Introduction

    Eadon Lockwood and Riddle are team are specialists in the

    Letting and Management of Residential Property.

    We are dedicated and experienced staff working together to ensure

    that we meet our client's needs.

    We are members of the Association of Residential Letting

    Agents (ARLA) and Safe Agent Fully Endorsed. This means

    our practices and client accounting systems are fully

    regulated - which in turn means peace of mind for you

    that we are accountable and insured.

Contact us


    Testimonials from Tenants

    • Tenant Testimonial

      Leon O'Neil reviewed Eadon, Lockwood & Riddle - Fantastic! Top results...best in the area. Would highly recommend
    • Tenant Testimonial

      Excellent service
      Ben Morris reviewed Eadon, Lockwood & Riddle Excellent service and friendly staff! I would highly recommend.
    • Tenant Testimonial

      The Most Impressive
      You are consistently THE MOST impressive letting agents I have dealt with! Always quickest to get back to me. I am MOST impressed. Best wishes Vicky Dawson
    Contact us


    The content on this Microsite has been uploaded by Eadon Lockwood & Riddle, Dore. Rightmove Group Limited makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the content, any queries should be sent directly to Eadon Lockwood & Riddle, Dore. Where properties are displayed on a page, this comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove Group Limited who operate the website Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. These property advertisements do not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Eadon Lockwood & Riddle, Dore. Please contact the agent directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland and if you have any query over the content.