Gable End Cottage, Atkinson Ground, Coniston, LA21 8AE
- PROPERTY TYPE
End of Terrace
- TENUREDescribes how you own a property. There are different types of tenure - freehold, leasehold, and commonhold.Read more about tenure in our glossary page.
- Nestled in the very heart of the Lake District and surrounded by the most stunning landscape
- A charming end terrace one bedroom cottage enjoying views towards Coniston Water
- Set within the splendid private grounds of Atkinson Ground, a former farmstead
- Beautifully and stylishly presented
- Breakfast kitchen, generous double bedroom and bathroom to the ground floor
- Sitting/dining room with attractive outlook to the first floor
- Designated parking for one and a small planted garden area to the south
- Close to the picturesque Lakeland village of Coniston
- Ideal as a 'lock up and leave'
- Will appeal to those looking for a quiet and idyllic weekend sanctuary or for those who wish to embrace and appreciate the magnificent scenery
1. The stunning location within the heart of the Lake District National Park - nestled in an elevated and enviable private setting, Atkinson Ground is a former farmstead, one of 30 'Grounds' in the Coniston area, named by individual tenants but within the ownership of Furness Abbey from the 15th Century. After the dissolution of the monasteries, it became part of the Monk Coniston Estate, owned by Beatrix Potter from 1930, who then left it to the National Trust. Atkinson Ground was sold on with the farm buildings developed in the 1940s' and now comprises five properties, a combination of residential dwellings and holiday lets.
2. Splendid south westerly views with glimpses of Coniston Water and the fells from the first floor sitting room.
3. Bijou (adjective: small but tasteful) - Gable End Cottage is an incredibly charming end terrace cottage set over two floors with a gross internal area of 554 sq ft (51.5 sq m).
4. Beautifully presented accommodation - come on into the hall off which is the breakfast kitchen - being open to the apex, the kitchen is fitted with base and wall units, wooden work tops, breakfast bar, an integral dishwasher, washing machine, electric oven and hob and a freestanding fridge/ freezer. Open stairs with skylight window lead up to the spacious sitting/dining room with wood burning stove set on slate hearth.
5. Sweet dreams - a dual aspect double bedroom with attractive outlook and a three piece bathroom, fitted with a Jacuzzi bath and vanity wash basin both to the ground floor.
6. Designated parking for one car only within the grounds of Atkinson Ground. The grounds are private with electric gated access and on arrival the views from the drive towards Coniston Old Man are magnificent.
7. Great to lock up and leave - there is a small garden area to the south providing space for a seating terrace; low upkeep leaves more time to get out and enjoy the things you like to do.
8. The picturesque Lakeland village of Coniston is close by and provides a good range of local facilities including shops, primary and secondary schools, restaurants, public houses, churches and post office. The area is famous for many reasons - the Victorian philosopher, John Ruskin, settled in the area in 1871 and made his home at Brantwood. Ruskin declared that 'the view over the lake to The Old Man of Coniston to be the best in all of England'. Beatrix Potter owned the Monk Coniston Estate in 1930, Arthur Ransome based his book 'Swallows and Amazons' on Coniston Water and probably most notoriously, Donald Campbell broke the water speed record on Coniston Water in 1955, however was killed in 1967 trying to regain it.
9. The perfect base for outdoor enthusiasts - there is much to offer especially for those keen on walking, cycling, climbing and water sports or to simply relax and take in the breathtaking and captivating scenery. The property is on the doorstep of Grizedale Forest, with excellent walks and some world class mountain biking trails.
10. Further afield - Hawkshead (2.5 miles), Ambleside (6.1 miles), Ulverston (16.3 miles) and Kendal (19 miles) with train stations at Oxenholme (22.4 miles) of the West Coast main line (with direct trains to London, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester Airport) and Ulverston on the Furness Line with connections to Lancaster. Access to the M6 is at J36 being 25.2 miles distant.
* Mains electric
* Septic tank shared with four neighbouring properties
* Private water supply shared with four neighbouring properties
* Electric storage heaters and wood burning stove
* The cottage is currently not banded for Council Tax purposes. Potential purchasers are advised to verify this information for themselves
* Local Authority - Westmorland and Furness Council
* All carpets, curtains, curtain poles, blinds, light fittings and white goods and all furniture are included in the sale. The paintings are not included.
* Contribution to the maintenance of the driveway and the shared services apply. For further information, please ask the agents.
* No commercial lets permitted
* There is no use of the private gardens
To find the property - from Coniston village, head east along the B5285, around the head of the lake, passing Monk Coniston car park on the right and head south east for a further 0.4 miles. Turn left, signposted Hawkshead and head up the hill. After a further 0.3 miles, Atkinson Ground is on the left. Please take the second electric gate onto the private drive; there is one designated parking space in the parking area, on the left, close to the cottage.
///what3words reference: finer.shorter.over
Energy Performance CertificatesA document confirming the energy efficiency rating of the property.Read more about epc in our glossary page.
Council TaxA payment made to your local authority in order to pay for local services like schools, libraries, and refuse collection. The amount you pay depends on the value of the property.Read more about council tax in our glossary page.
Gable End Cottage, Atkinson Ground, Coniston, LA21 8AE
NEAREST STATIONSDistances are straight line measurements from the centre of the postcode
- Windermere Station5.8 miles
About the agent
Davis and Bowring is a long established firm of Chartered Surveyors based in Kirkby Lonsdale. Specialising in prime period property (from cottage to castle) and brand new rural residential developments (both building opportunities and the finished products), we cover The Lake District, North Yorkshire Dales, North Lancashire and the Lune and Eden Valleys.
With a residential sales and letting department, we also have a rural estate management department and sporting ag
Stamp Duty calculator
Staying secure when looking for property
Ensure you're up to date with our latest advice on how to avoid fraud or scams when looking for property online.Visit our security centre to find out more
Disclaimer - Property reference DB2348. The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. Rightmove.co.uk makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and Rightmove has no control over the content. This property advertisement does not constitute property particulars. The information is provided and maintained by Davis & Bowring, Kirkby Lonsdale. Please contact the selling agent or developer directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland.
*This is the average speed from the provider with the fastest broadband package available at this postcode. The average speed displayed is based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time (8pm to 10pm). Fibre/cable services at the postcode are subject to availability and may differ between properties within a postcode. Speeds can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed at the property may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed and confirm availability to a property prior to purchasing on the broadband provider's website. Providers may increase charges. The information is provided and maintained by Decision Technologies Limited.
Map data ©OpenStreetMap contributors.