Inspiration Wednesday – Dumfries
This week’s #InspirationWednesday is Dumfries in the borough of Dumfries and Galloway, in Scotland. The market town, which is nicknames the ‘Queen of the South’, is a stunning rural location in which to live.
Why not visit the Dumfries Museum, in its 18th century windmill, sitting above the town, to see the camera obscura and fossil footprints? There’s also plenty of historic sites and castles to explore and the beautiful River Nith running through the city to walk along.
With plenty of galleries, arts and crafts and community events, this is a thriving and pleasant area in which to live. It is especially perfect for those who enjoy outdoor pursuits with anything from fishing and golf to axe throwing and paintballing on offer! This is also a great base from which to explore the countryside and the coast.
Facts about Dumfries:
- People from Dumfries are known colloquially as Doonhamers.
- Famous people from Dumfries include Calvin Harris, Ray Wilson, James Matthew Barrie and David Coulthard.
- The pedal bike was invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan in a town just outside Dumfires.
- In 1908, on the 2nd of July, Dumfries had Scotland’s highest ever recorded temperature – 31.8 degrees Celsius.
- The hero of Burns’ Night, Robert Burns, lived here for much of his life. You can visit his former home here now.
Properties in Dumfries:
Our first property is this two bedroom apartment in Dumfries, perfect for first time buyers or a Buy To Let opportunity. With a large, open-plan living and dining area and plenty of storage space, this cosy flat is perfect for an individual or a couple.
Our second pick is this three bedroom semi-detached home in Heathhall. The pretty home benefits from a large garden, plenty of kitchen workspace and a good location, close to amenities.
Our last home is this stunning six bedroom home at just £395,000! The beautiful detached mansion sits within a mass of gardens and offers a drawing room, log store, a pantry and more – this is the home to feel like a lord or lady!