Rightmove’s top tips when moving into your first home
Getting your first place is exciting, whether you’re buying or renting. It can also be overwhelming and mind-boggling!
Here’s a list of things to remember so you don’t end up in a muddle…
Let’s start with the important things you shouldn’t forget!
- The DVLA need to know you’re moving so you can update your driving licence and remember to change your address on the V5C vehicle registration certificate – these are both legal requirements.
- Redirect your post, this can easily be done online from the Post Office. It’s a good safety net, it’s hard to remember everyone who has your address.
- Tell your bank! The last thing anyone needs is a drama of a lost card and the ‘proof of address’ being different to your current address.
- Update your address on all online shopping accounts! Else next time you go to tea at your mums she’ll be rocking your new scarf!
Things to do now to make things easier later
- One of the first things you will need to set up is your Gas, Electric & Water. Shop around to get the best deal, it’s a very competitive market!
- Arrange internet connection at your new property. If you leave it too late you will risk not being connected for weeks!
- If you’re getting a nice new sofa, fridge freezer or any other house appliance, it’s worth arranging delivery straight to the new address at a time that is suitable. Maybe not the same day your entire family and Mum’s neighbour Mary shows up to see ‘how you’re getting on’.
- Pack the Kettle and some tea bags last, it will make it easier to find when you get to your new home so you can make a brew for you and your hard working removers.
How to pick a removal company
- When you know the date you’re moving you should be thinking about transporting your possessions, so start looking for an accredited removal company such as a member of the British Association of Removers (BAR).
- Choosing a BAR accredited remover can protect you against damages and are the industries mark of quality.
- Find a quality remover on Rightmove: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/removals.html
The most important thing to remember is: keep calm and don’t forget the bubbles to celebrate!
You only get to move into your first home once, you’ve earned this, so enjoy it!