How to find property to buy
With most properties now being listed online, it’s easier than ever to find a property to buy that meets your needs. However, because there is such a large selection to choose from, it’s worth taking the time to ask yourself exactly what you’re looking for before you seriously start looking; this will help you to firm up your requirements and narrow the options more efficiently.
The key criteria you’ll need to think about before embarking on your property search:
- Price – how much can you realistically afford to spend per month on a mortgage and bills?
- Location – where do you want to buy?
- Size – how many bedrooms do you need? Do any of them need to be doubles?
Where to live and what to look for?
Before you start looking at properties you’ll need an idea of many bedrooms you require, your budget and a shortlist of locations you’re interested in. This can sometimes feel daunting, particularly if this is the first time you’ve ever looked into buying a property.
To make this part of the process easier, ask yourself the following questions:
- How important are transport links for you? Are there any you need to be particularly near to?
- How long a commute would you be comfortable with?
- How far are you prepared to travel to meet friends and family?
- What do you love about your current home/area?
- What are the things you don’t like about your current home that you would like to avoid next time?
- What are the ‘must haves’ that will make your new property feel like home?
- What amenities do you want or need on your door step?
- How long do you plan to stay in the next property?
- If you have hobbies, is there somewhere you need to get to regularly?
TIP: If you’re unsure where to live, but know that you’d like to live a certain distance from set locations, check out our ‘Where Can I Live?’ tool.
Searching for property
Once you’re clear on your requirements, you’re ready to start looking at properties for sale.
Rightmove works with more agents than any other property website, meaning you can also find the largest selection of properties for sale here. This makes it a great place to start your search.
Rightmove top tips:
- Download our iPhone, iPad or Android app so to search on the go.
- Create a Rightmove account, so that your search activity is synced across all your devices.
- Activate Instant Alerts for your favourite searches so that we can let you know as soon as new properties are added that match your criteria.
If you’re clear on your criteria, start a search now.